Our goal when we give a referral should be to always set it up as well as we can for all parties involved (prospective customer and the referral recipient). It is important to try to set things up properly on the front end to avoid confusion and to make sure giving the referral makes you look good.
Here are some proven steps that we recommend following:
Steps in Giving a Referral
- Do they have a need for a product or service one of your members offers? If yes, when possible share your experience
- Ask permission for the referral recipient to contact the prospect. Example: ”Is it ok if I connect the two of you?”
- If yes, tell them “I will connect you with _____. Do you prefer to phone, text, or email? You may want to check back in with them during the process to see how things are going.
- If no, give out contact info of your member and say “is it ok if I give ____ a heads up that you might be contacting them?”
- Send the referral and connect the two parties.
- Check back with both parties to see “How did it go with _____?”
- If appropriate share the feedback.
5 Steps in Giving a Referral: Watch Video